Sloppy Joes are always a delicious meal, but wait until you try them with this delicious twist! A special seasoning in the sloppy joe mix gives them a mouth watering flavor and when you top it with the two special ingredients I am about to share, you just can’t go wrong.
What You Will Need:
Sloppy Joe Mixture
*Ground Beef (I use organic, grass fed 85/15)
*Coconut Oil Cooking Spray
*Sliced Dill Pickles
1. Pan fry the ground beef in a pan on medium-high heat with coconut oil cooking spray.
2. Once the meat is cooking you can go ahead and get your caramelized onions going. Just heat a smaller pan on medium heat with butter- probably two tablespoons for one onion to start, and sauté the sliced onions until they are nice and caramelized. If you see the onions are looking a little ‘dry’ and are turning more burnt than brown, add a little more butter as needed.
3. Once the ground beef is cooked through you can add all of the seasonings and sauces! As some of you may know, I don’t measure much of anything when cooking so all seasonings are just to taste. You can always add more of everything so start lighter if you’re not sure of how much to use. I add the tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire first, and then I add the onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, and brown sugar. Don’t go too heavy on the brown sugar if you don’t like your sloppy joes too sweet. Start with some sprinkles of everything and then taste to determine if you need more or not.
4. Once all seasonings and sauces are in, mix and let simmer for a few minutes until all of the flavors have had a little time to meld together. While the meat is simmering you can toast your bun in the oven if you’d like!
5. When everything is cooked you can assemble your sandwich OR you can throw everything together for a big pan of sloppy joe deliciousness. You will not be disappointed, I promise. I like to give the sliced dill pickles a rough dice if I throw them into the pan, and then VOILA you have sloppy joes, with a twist!
In case you missed it from above, the three special ingredients are ground mustard, caramelized onions, and dill pickles!