As most of you might know, kabobs are one of my favorite meals. Although a bit time consuming to prepare, they are so versatile and can be changed up each time you make them. Steak is my meat of choice, but I used chicken this time as I was going for a red, white, and “blue” color theme in honor of Independence Day coming up!
Ingredients for Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Kabobs
- Chicken Breast, Cut in Large Chunks
- Red Bell Pepper, Large Pieces (I used yellow also to save money)
- White Onion, Large Pieces
- Purple Potatoes (this is the “blue”)
- Avocado Oil
- California Garlic Pepper
- Grill Mates Brazilian Steakhouse Marinade Mix Packet
- Red Wine Vinegar
Quick French Onion Dip
- Plain Green Yogurt or Sour Cream
- French Onion Soup Mix
How to Prepare the Kabobs
1. Prep the Grill Mates marinade and soak the chicken in advance for as long as you can. I just use a gallon sized ziplock or bowl.
2. When you are ready to cook, bring a pot of water to a boil and boil the purple potatoes just until the outer edge is fork tender. You don’t want them to get too soft. Mildly boiling them just speeds up the cooking process on the grill. Raw potatoes take way too long to cook and would need to be skewered separately from everything else.
3. Once the potatoes are done and cooled (so you don’t burn yourself), cut them into large chunks and mix them in a bowl with the mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions. Toss in avocado oil and California garlic pepper and skewer the meat and veggies on metal skewers.
4. Grill until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender.
5. To pull the kabobs together and add even more flavor, serve with a dipping sauce. I used french onion dip! Chimichurri is also good.
These grilled chicken and vegetable kabobs were so full of flavor and would be a delicious menu addition for your Fourth of July party!