I’ve made chicken parmesan before but never have I made a chicken cutlet to enjoy just on it’s own and my chicken was never real crispy. This however, was one of the BEST entree’s I’ve made in a long time. I was inspired by Jersey Shore (judge me all you want but yes, that’s my guilty pleasure) because they are always eating delicious looking cutlets and in an episode I just watched they showed Paola (Vinny’s Mom) making dinner. While I don’t have a recipe, they did show the order of ingredients used as she was preparing the chicken and that was enough to inspire me to give it a go!
Ingredients for Chicken Cutlets
- Thin sliced chicken breast, pounded out until super thin
- Egg, whisked
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion salt
- Lemon juice
- Avocado oil
- Lightly season both sides of the chicken cutlets with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion salt.
- Set aside a bowl each of flour, whisked egg, and panko breadcrumbs. I seasoned the panko with a little garlic powder too.
- Heat a pan on high with a decent amount of avocado oil, maybe about 1/4 inch. I don’t measure anything but you want enough oil to cover about half of the chicken when it’s in the pan.
- While the oil is heating you can start preparing the cutlets for the oil. Dip them in flour first (just a light coating), then the egg, and then into the panko breadcrumbs.
- When the oil is hot, add your cutlets and cook for a couple of minutes on each side. When the breadcrumbs are cooked to a dark golden brown, you can flip and brown the other side until perfectly crispy.
- Place the cooked chicken cutlets on a cooling rack. This is KEY to keeping them crispy. I used to put anything I ‘fried’ on paper towels and that is what softens things up because of the moisture.
- If you like things more salty, add a tiny sprinkle of salt as soon as you take the chicken out of the pan.
- When ready to serve, add some lemon juice to the chicken and enjoy!
For my sides I had canned corn with butter and salt and pepper, and steamed asparagus with butter and onion salt.
You can follow me on LIKEtoKNOW.it to see more outfit shares and my everyday favorite things!